deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Autor Tema: Two versions of the same commander?  (Leído 796 veces)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Two versions of the same commander?
« en: Julio 20, 2021, 03:01:34 pm »
Anyone ever make and keep two versions of the same commander before?

I'm considering it. As I'm retooling my Sidisi, Brood Tyrant deck away from Zombie tribal (which I did thoroughly enjoy) to a more competitive version of the deck (which I've also enjoyed before) I've noticed that I currently have a stack of around 50 cards that have been in the deck at one time or another that I could craft into a workable zombie tribal version. Initially I was just going to have a package of around 10-15 cards to switch out between the two versions of the deck, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just make a full on second version of the deck since I have ample cards to do so.

Thoughts?
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
Re: Two versions of the same commander?
« Respuesta #1 en: Julio 20, 2021, 03:15:03 pm »
If you already have the cards and don't plan on using them in another deck, then by all means, have two Sidisis.

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Respuesta #2 en: Julio 20, 2021, 03:21:11 pm »
I've done this a fair few times and I'm generally a big fan of the idea.

I think there are a number of ways to approach it and if any of these is a method you are happy with then it's completely worth it (play what you love and all that).

Approaches:

1. Have two completely independent decks with either no crossover or multiple copies of cards for each deck.

This is great for convenience but potentially bad for your wallet and/or the power level of the deck. It will feel bad if you are left in a position where one deck is running a sub par mana base compared to the other (unless of course, this is by design to keep it at a certain power level).

Alternatively, this can also be a fun deck building restriction if you want to push the boundaries and explore cards outside of the obvious.

2. Have a base deck that is consistent for both (lands, ramp, draw) and swap out key cards.

This is great for your wallet but a can be pain in the ass to manage, especially if you want to play both decks on the same night. It's not insurmountable, but does require some organisation.

3. Keep one deck as the "proper" deck and proxy any crossover cards you want in both decks.

This is the best of both worlds providing you don't play with any pissy little babies who care about proxying a card that you already own for the sake of convenience.

I've tended to go with the last option for mine when I've done this. I've built multiple versions of Queen Marchesa and Extus, Oriq Overlord but I don't want to buy fetches and shocks and talismans and signets and whatever for 4 decks, so I have my main deck (Marchesa Aristocrats) and have printed out proxies of all the staples that I want across multiple decks.

I toyed with the idea of a Mardu base that I swap out each time depending on the deck, but Marchesa aristocrats wants a very different amount of lands and ramp compared to Piru, the Volatile so ultimately I decided to scrap the idea and proxy instead, which my playgroup is totally cool with.

Generally speaking though, I think it's a great idea if you can manage it properly or find a balance you are happy with. Playing what you love is the best part of EDH, so having a much loved commander built with two different much loved archetypes is wonderful.

Aetherium Slinky

• Rules Advisor
    • reddit.com/r/jankEDH
  • Decks
« Respuesta #3 en: Julio 20, 2021, 04:20:14 pm »
I have two: Merieke Ri Berit competitive list that I am thinking about proxying (Timetwister, Transmute Artifact, ABUR duals) and my main list (Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover). There's quite a lot of overlap but one is significantly more powerful than the other.
Come brew some jank with us!
https://www.reddit.com/r/jankEDH/

fluffyp

• Decks
« Respuesta #4 en: Agosto 17, 2021, 07:17:48 pm »
I haven't yet built a second deck with a commander I already have a deck for, but that's not because I don't want to!  I just have a list of commanders that I wish to build and it's way too long for me to be doubling up AT THE MOMENT.  The first I duplicate will likely be Korvold, however, as I have one complete deck that is the usual sort with Korvold, and I immediately then came up with a banquet themed deck idea for him, really focusing on actual food tokens, devour mechanics and the new card, Asmoranomardicadaistinaculdacar and I really, really, really want to build that .... so it's on my list and I'll get there eventually, along with several others I wish to take in other directions.  I see no reason why you shouldn't - other than it being potentially hard on the old wallet - commanders can be built in many different ways, why shouldn't we explore them all if we are so inclined? :D