deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Aggiorna Sessione button and then try again.

Autore Topic: What are you getting from New Capenna?  (Letto 2588 volte)

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
What are you getting from New Capenna?
« il: Aprile 21, 2022, 11:25:54 am »
What are the cards that you are excited to try from New Capenna (both the regular and the commander set)?

Personally, I haven't found much that I'm especially excited about, but there are still some cards that seem quite strong and I may try them out, or just get them for future decks.

The new Triomes (Xander's Lounge etc.) are of course amazing, no real need to discuss them. They'll be auto-includes in any 3+ color deck.

Here's my personal list:

Professional Face-Breaker: I believe this to be the strongest card from the set. The ability to sac a treasure to (impulse) draw a card feels incredibly pushed. I know it's a meme by now, but if you can do some stupid Dockside Extortionist loop (and we all know how easy it is) you can then basically draw your deck using this. Also the first ability is reminiscent of the extremely strong Grim Hireling, although less strong. More than worth it to have that crazy second ability imho.

An Offer you Can't Refuse: This seems like a very strong counterspell, as discussed in this thread (https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,65822.0.html). In casual EDH, giving out 2 treasures doesn't sound too bad to stop a game-winning play. May be a bit more sketchy in cEDH, where 2 more mana can mean a win.

Grand Crescendo: You can cast this for WW and it's basically an Heroic Intervention, and if you have more mana to sink in it will also be a Secure the Wastes. The flexibility on this one feels amazing.

Slip Out the Back: I like how this card can be used both as a cheap temporary removal and as a protection spell. I'll definitely include it in my voltron Tuvasa list, replacing Tamyo's Safekeeping (yeah, a card that came out with the previous set...)

Night Clubber: I feel like this card is being overlooked (also, the name is amazing  ;D ). I think there isn't any other 3-cmc creature that can also be a mini-board wipe. Seems especially strong in decks like Meren, which can easily reanimate it to give your opponent's creature -2/-2. At that point, it's a mini Massacre Wurm.

That's it, for the moment. There are other cards that feel quite strong, but I have no deck in which they would fit.

What are you excited for?
Golgari is life. And death.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: What are you getting from New Capenna?
« Risposta #1 il: Aprile 24, 2022, 06:04:19 pm »
So far, all I've done is lightly comb through the spoilers (haven't had time for much more with work, school, and my kids). Initially I'm not seeing much for any of my decks (mainly Sidisi or Varina) but maybe I've missed something.
This space for rent.

Morganator 2.0

• Global Moderator
  • Decks
« Risposta #2 il: Aprile 24, 2022, 06:50:44 pm »
From New Capenna I'm gonna get 4 copies of An Offer You Can't Refuse.  I'm also thinking of Professional Face-Breaker for both Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire and Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer. Nothing else there interests me.

Now the Commander half of the set has a few things I like. Tenuous Truce is the first card that has my attention. I might get Master of Ceremonies for the same reason; they both fit in Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis. I'll likely also get a Grand Crescendo although I don't have a deck for it just yet. I'd also like a Seize the Spotlight, as I'm sure one of my many red decks has a use for it.

Is anyone going to use Bootleggers' Stash?

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Risposta #3 il: Aprile 24, 2022, 09:07:59 pm »
From New Capenna I'm gonna get 4 copies of An Offer You Can't Refuse.  I'm also thinking of Professional Face-Breaker for both Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire and Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer. Nothing else there interests me.

Now the Commander half of the set has a few things I like. Tenuous Truce is the first card that has my attention. I might get Master of Ceremonies for the same reason; they both fit in Kynaios and Tiro of Meletis. I'll likely also get a Grand Crescendo although I don't have a deck for it just yet. I'd also like a Seize the Spotlight, as I'm sure one of my many red decks has a use for it.

The only thing I can think of using Bootleggers' Stash for would be looping land untaps to get infinite artifacts for something like a Tezzeret, Master of the Bridge death laser win, but there're already so many ways to do that.

Then again, it would basically double your mana if you ran the treasure tokens through a Krark-Clan Ironworks or something.
« Ultima modifica: Aprile 24, 2022, 09:09:55 pm da Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

The Golgari Guy

• Deck optimization never ends
  • Decks
« Risposta #4 il: Aprile 24, 2022, 11:48:23 pm »

Nice, I see we have several overlapping picks!  :)

I think Bootleggers' Stash is yet another overhyped green card, like Cultivator Colossus. It feels very win more, and the effect is similar to Horizon Stone (apart from the color fixing) unless you're taking advantage of the treasures in some way.

I think it will see play in specific decks (seems extremely strong in a casual Korvold build, for example), but it's far from being a staple in my opinion.
« Ultima modifica: Aprile 25, 2022, 08:44:29 am da The Golgari Guy »
Golgari is life. And death.

Slyvester12

• Decks
« Risposta #5 il: Aprile 25, 2022, 02:26:20 am »
As a follow up to my last comment, I now feel inspired to create an assembly line deck with the treasure tokens. Something like creating treasure tokens, grinding them up for mana, creating more artifacts, and eventually winning the game through an effect like Mechanized Production, Revel in Riches, Epic Struggle, or the new Halo Fountain.

EDIT: Yeah, I'm just gonna go brew that now.
« Ultima modifica: Aprile 25, 2022, 02:28:02 am da Slyvester12 »
Elves and infect are the best things in Magic.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Risposta #6 il: Aprile 25, 2022, 09:58:33 am »
I'm more of a budget player. So I have bought one card that's over € 1,- and that's Giada, font of hope, because I like angels ;).
And I bought a Reservoir Kraken, undercover operative, errant, street artist for rares.

Mage's attendant is for my Linvala, Shield of Sea gate deck as it makes two party members in one play. Rumor gatherer is nice for budget creature decks. And I picked up Inspiring overseer for my Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle deck, as it is a very good reanimation target.

mynameiscalled

• I'm your one-man cult
    • MiseryBusinessMTG
  • Decks
« Risposta #7 il: Aprile 25, 2022, 12:06:33 pm »
Only Triomes I suppose. If I do happen to open any plainswalkers during draft, they are a keep as well, although I don’t really have any certain decks in mind for them.

Same goes for that halo-making 1W angel Giada, Font of Hope

I, too, haven’t really spoiled THAT much, so hoping something will peak my interest along the way. Ordered few draft boxes and will see the cards as we draft them.
« Ultima modifica: Aprile 25, 2022, 12:22:23 pm da mynameiscalled »

CleanBelwas

• Decks
« Risposta #8 il: Aprile 25, 2022, 12:53:23 pm »
I already have this deck:

https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/2458875-aristo-cats-and-dogs

I'm planning on getting Jinnie Fay, Jetmir's Second so I can make ANOTHER deck that focuses on killing cats and dogs for profit.

Making an aristocats deck without the payoffs available in black will be tricky, so this one will be more of a combo based deck.

Thornbite staff on anything that taps to make a token, with blasting station and/or goblin bombardment to kill people.

Might even stick in an overrun, as a treat.

Bootlegger's stash would be superb in that deck, but I won't be going out of my way to get one. If I open one on draft night, great, but it's not a card that interests me particularly.

paulusdeboself

• Decks
« Risposta #9 il: Aprile 25, 2022, 03:40:28 pm »
I already have this deck:

https://deckstats.net/decks/132604/2458875-aristo-cats-and-dogs

I'm planning on getting Jinnie Fay, Jetmir's Second so I can make ANOTHER deck that focuses on killing cats and dogs for profit.

Making an aristocats deck without the payoffs available in black will be tricky, so this one will be more of a combo based deck.

Thornbite staff on anything that taps to make a token, with blasting station and/or goblin bombardment to kill people.

Might even stick in an overrun, as a treat.

Bootlegger's stash would be superb in that deck, but I won't be going out of my way to get one. If I open one on draft night, great, but it's not a card that interests me particularly.

Things like impact tremors and heat of battle would do nicely in a red inclusive token deck as well.

Jesterskull

• Decks
« Risposta #10 il: Aprile 25, 2022, 09:27:11 pm »
I am not getting anything yet. (Because money)

But I do hope this site updates the set tokens soon.

(Been waiting over a week for it, and they really didn't do it completely yet.)

anjinsan

• Decks
« Risposta #11 il: Aprile 26, 2022, 09:50:47 pm »
I've already been tooling up decks built around several of the commanders. Only tried Parnesse and Vazi so far, though.

There are a few cards which might help support some weirdly niche decks. For example Kros, Defence Contractor seems to be doing exactly what I wanted to do with that "Atraxa group hug" I threw together but never tested ages ago. Jinnie Fay, Jetmir's Second could probably go in Rin and Seri burn/pingers - cast dogs, get more dogs, happy days. EDIT: I forgot Luxior, Giada's Gift, which is tailor-made for superaristifactfriends.

There are also just loads of cool cards, especially in White. I've theorycrafted a whole Bennie deck but I can see several of these going elsewhere. Again, kinda neat, but Aerial Extortionist is just what Mangara, the Diplomat needs to go with his Knowledge Pool!

I just got to try Bootlegger's Stash and it's pretty insane. Admittedly, I also had Mayhem Devil and Xorn so I was able to burn everyone for a lot but the flexibility that card has is great even before you start trying to do silly things with it. Why is it green? Why does it even exist? How do bicycles stay up? Nobody knows. But it is, and it does, and they do, and I think this will be going in more decks.
« Ultima modifica: Aprile 26, 2022, 10:23:21 pm da anjinsan »

Landale

• Decks
« Risposta #12 il: Aprile 26, 2022, 10:01:34 pm »
I think Bootleggers' Stash is yet another overhyped green card, like Cultivator Colossus. It feels very win more, and the effect is similar to Horizon Stone (apart from the color fixing) unless you're taking advantage of the treasures in some way.

I think it will see play in specific decks (seems extremely strong in a casual Korvold build, for example), but it's far from being a staple in my opinion.
I can see it getting use in Chatterfang too. Every land has a better Squirrel Nest with that out.

anjinsan

• Decks
« Risposta #13 il: Aprile 26, 2022, 10:25:48 pm »
Yeah, it's better than Horizon Stone, not only for the fixing (which is potentially a big deal, actually) but also you get to keep the treasure if it's removed. On its own, though, does that make it good? Probably not, considering it costs 1 more too. However I think there are so many synergies and that it's so easy to take advantage of the treasures that the ceiling is quite a lot higher. Not a staple that will go in every deck, maybe, but pretty great in some.

SirHerpaderp

• Visitatore
« Risposta #14 il: Aprile 27, 2022, 11:18:48 am »
The flavor of the set really is not my cup of tea but I'm at least going to test Topiary Stomper in my Gishath deck. Same goes for Reservoir Kraken in my seamonster tribal. Other than that I think Lethal Scheme and An Offer you can't refuse could have some potential, so I'll test them out too.