deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Help Dommy Mommy Step On Some Balls  (Read 512 times)

KingYaga

• Decks
Help Dommy Mommy Step On Some Balls
« on: August 16, 2023, 07:38:29 pm »
SO. i got bored and tried a deck type ive NEVER attempted before. an Equipment deck. i dont like artifact decks much. just not my style so i have no clue what im doing. i THINK this deck is good. its ok. its fun to play but its not OPPRESSIVE enough. i want my homies to FELL the tension of nut stepping.

so what can i do to improve? does anyone run something similar? help a brother out.

https://deckstats.net/decks/230926/3162358-dommy-mommy-steps-on-your-ball/en#show__edh
For The Kingdom

Fuzzy2Wasy

• Decks
Re: Help Dommy Mommy Step On Some Balls
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 12:46:10 am »
My general thoughts:

Lands - Seems like budget isn't much of a consideration for the deck, so I would cut lands that enter tapped and/or don't have a sub-type, out go Bloodfell Caves, Golgari Rot Farm, Gruul Turf, Rakdos Carnarium, Darigaaz's Caldera, and also Rogue's Passage is out because you WANT your commander to be blocked for those triggers.  If it were me, I'd put in some basic lands.  If someone plays a Blood Moon on turn 2 or 3 your game is over.  Urza's Saga to go find that Shadowspear.  A lot of your lands enter untapped IF you control forests, mountains, swamps, so more of those sub-types the better to let your duel lands enter untapped.  Overall, your land count seems a touch low also, but if you are ramping enough and drawing enough cards it doesn't seem like a big issue, but I would probably try and add like 3 more lands and get your total to 38.

Artifacts - I notice you state that equipment decks aren't really your thing, but the fact that is what it sounds like you are trying to make I feel like you are a bit light on actual equipment.  As far as equipment you already have, I would just mention be careful about the Swords.  Obviously SoFF is REALLY good, so I'm not gonna say take that one out, but as for SoFI and any others you contemplate, keep in mind if your Commander has protection from too many colors then your opponents can't block it, and thus you won't get your fun triggers.  Mithril Coat is up to you.  Commander is already indestruct on your turn, is it worth a slot for making it always?  I'm not so sure.  I've never thought the 8 mana (3B) for Vorpal sword was worth it and 3B might be surprisingly hard to come up with in a 3 color deck.  Maybe not.  Anduril, Flame of the West do you really need 2 1/1's? I don't think this advances your game.  Nemesis Mask all-star for the deck.  If it were my deck, I would lean into Deathtouch and Trample which it seems you have a good amount of.  Assigning 2 damage to each blocker if you have deathtouch (and if they aren't indestructible) results in triggering your Commander.  There are lots of equipment that grant these abilities Shadowspear, Sword of Vengeance, Haunted Cloak, Embercleave, Tenza, Godo's Maul, Blazing Sunsteel could have some very fun tricks, Kaldra Compleat.  I would also think about adding Blackblade Reforged to ensure you always have the beefiest hitter even against the toughest blockers. Hammer of Nazahn makes your Commander always indestructible and pay the equip cost of all other equipment for free.  You say you want to be oppressive, nothing is more oppressive than Worldslayer, Grafted Exoskeleton could also be 1 hit kills for your Commander, as well as anything that gives double strike.
Darksteel Forge if your playgroup learns to start blowing up your toys.

Enchantments - The ones you have are a little all over the board, but all are good in the deck, although personally I'm not really into the Umbra's.  Bear Umbra for the untap is good, but the others don't seem good enough to me.  Spider Umbra especially you don't have much Vigilance and you are attacking with your Commander, what good does reach do you?  Boar Umbra just not enough.  Spider Umbra, I guess if you are playing the deck and not drawing enough cards to play but I think there are MUCH better draw spells in Jund colors.  Good to add are Unnatural Growth, Rune of Might or Rune of Mortality to lean into deathtouch and trample, Colossal Majesty should trigger for you most turns, Gift of the Deity for repeatable lure effect, Deathreap Ritual is a value machine.

Instants - A lot of this is up to your style, but mostly I like what I'm seeing.  I love the fight cards.  I would say, it feels like you may be a bit heavy on them, maybe keep 3-6 of your favorite, cut the others to add more lands and equipment. Fog?  I guess if you think you need it.  Back for More doesn't do it for me personally.  Much more efficient ways to get something from your GY in your colors, I don't think getting the immediate fight makes it worth 6 mana.  I would think about adding a couple more ways to deal with opponents Artifacts and Enchantments.  A Meekstone or Pacifism effect shuts you down.  You have SO many good choices in Green, Beast Within seems especially good for you as you take the thing that has locked you down and make it into a creature that has to block you and trigger your ability. Chaos Warp, Assassin's Trophy, Krosan Grip, Golgari Charm if you like options.

Sorceries - Chandra's Ignition another all-star for the deck.  I guess you really like Tutoring and Fighting, a lot of duplication here.  I would again cut some here for other cards previously mentioned.  I love the versatility of Dig Up if tutoring is a big part of your gameplan. It's 1 mana to find a basic land you need early on, or a Tutor later.  Reanimate can bring back your Commander MUCH cheaper than previously mentioned Back for More, it can also be used to grab a big scary creature from an opponents graveyard that you killed with your Commander attacking and they had to block and die.  Spinning Wheel Kick might be one of the best fight cards you can have for this deck (Chandra's not withstanding).  I would get some ramp cards in like Farseek, Nature's Lore, Three Visits, keep Bushwhack in only if you decide to add some Basic Lands (because currently you have none) as one of your 3-6 fight cards.  Jeska's Will is a red staple and it's very good.  Overloading a Vandalblast before you go to combat with your commander probably gives you a LOT better targets for your trigger in the world of artifact tokens (like treasure or food) that we live in. 

Creatures - I don't have much, I think you have a lot of great choices here IMHO.  Personally I think Surrak and Goreclaw, and Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma don't do enough in the deck.  General Marhault Elsdragon puts in way more work than your Boar Umbra, Toralf, God of Fury seems to synergize very well with what you already want to do.  Heiko Yamazaki, the General to bring back equipment you have that are getting blown up? Just spitballing, unless you really want to lean even more into extra combats with those types of red creatures, again I like what you have. 

I guess I would try and give you some advice as I see it by asking a few questions.

1. You say you want the deck to be oppressive, what does that mean to you, and your playgroup?  Do you want high damage output / evasion on the commander / extra combats to end games quickly to play more games?  Do you want to play Stax style where you are locking out your opponents and keeping their boards clear, toy with them?  Do you want to make them have to play around your attacking Commander by not being able to slam all their creatures down?

2. Is there any style of play or deck type that your playgroup doesn't allow?  Or is this play as good as stuff as you can and see who comes out on top? 

3. How do you enjoy playing, what's your style?  To win?  To win fast?  To do cool things?  Combos?  Draw all the cards?  Open to anything?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 12:56:50 am by Fuzzy2Wasy »

KingYaga

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 03:42:51 am »
WOW. thank you for all the suggestions. im definitely going to make lots of changes now. this has been incredibly helpful
to answer your questions:
oppressiveness: my friend group plays online using tabletop simulator. money isnt a factor so some CRAZY decks get made. (my buddy has an artifact deck that can pull Bightsteel Colossus turn 4 or 5). by oppressiveness i want to have something that my group goes "oh shit here it comes" something that MAKES them target me.
we allow any playstyle. its all for fun.
my favorite playstyles are Tribal. (i have a very oppressive Varina Zombie Tribal deck thats my favorite) and Spellslinger. i almost always theme my decks behind something (zombie apocalypse, Captain N'gathrod as Davy Jones, Ovika weenies, etc.) but im open to anything
For The Kingdom

Fuzzy2Wasy

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2023, 07:05:40 am »
Ok, you want oppressive I've got oppressive haha.  Honestly I'm giving your deck a review for the great title!  +2 from me if I could  ;D

While I'm not sure these cards will fit any tribal or theme, they are goodstuff cards that are oppressive and will make your playgroup quiver. 

If the OG Dual lands are available on the platform, you def want the ones that never enter tapped and can make two colors of mana
Badlands, Bayou, and TaigaInventors Fair for some minor lifegain but more importantly to tutor for the equipment you need at the right time. 
Asceticism
Resurrection Orb
Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest
Everyones least favorite goblin - Dockside Extortionist
TERGRID, God of Fright (seriously, punishing)
It That Betrays is another Tergrid but causes opponent to sacrifice two things on attack
Terastodon is a Beast Within on steroids
Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
Dictate of Erebos
Grave Pact
Manabarbs
Mogis, God of Slaughter
Sulfuric Vortex
Harsh Mentor
Sire of Insanity
Death Cloud
Torment of Hailfire
Fiendlash
Court of Ambition

That should give you plenty of options to mix and match what you like. 

Have fun!

KingYaga

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2023, 09:23:35 pm »
Wow all that looks great as well. i wasnt aware of grave pact. 2 less mana for a non flash dictate of erebos. thats awesome. cant wait to use some of these at my table
For The Kingdom

KingYaga

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 07:32:47 pm »
so ive taken some advice and changed things up. added lands. removed shenanigans. i feel alot better about this deck

https://deckstats.net/decks/230926/3162358-dommy-mommy-steps-on-your-ball/en
For The Kingdom